Wednesday, Oct 07th

Last update10:27:39 PM GMT

You are here All News At a Glance Human Rights Glance

MSF: US raid on Afghan hospital an 'attack on Geneva Conventions'

Attack on hospital war crimeA U.S. airstrike on an Afghan hospital that left 22 dead was an "attack on the Geneva Conventions" and warrants an independent fact-finding mission to establish if it amounts to a war crime, Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said Wednesday.

The medical charity said that a commission, which can be set up at the request of a single state under international law, should be set up to gather facts and evidence from the United States, NATO and Afghanistan.


Israel bars Palestinians from Jerusalem's Old City

Israel bars Palestinians from Old CityIn an unprecedented measure, Israeli police barred Palestinians from Jerusalem's Old City on Sunday in response to stabbing attacks that killed two Israelis and wounded three others, as Israel's prime minister vowed a "harsh offensive" to counter rising violence.

Tensions have flared in recent weeks over an Old City holy site sacred to Muslims and Jews, a series of so-called "lone wolf" attacks on Israelis and a security clampdown, which on Sunday saw Israeli troops launch a bloody arrest raid in the West Bank.


Yemeni man denied apology from US for drone strike that killed his family

No apology to Yemeni man who lost his famlyFaisal bin Ali Jaber came to recognize that in his case, justice was not realistic. The most he could hope for from the American government that killed his family in a drone strike was an apology, much as the families of two wrongfully killed westerners received from Barack Obama.

But the answer came on Wednesday from the Justice Department: no.

Earlier this week, Jaber, a 57-year old Yemeni man, had offered to drop a federal lawsuit he filed in June, which sought to establish that the 29 August 2012 drone strike – which killed Jaber’s brother-in-law and nephew – was unlawful.


How US immigration officers use dubious ID papers to deport people

Deportation fraudsIn March 2013, Patrice Talbot was taken out of York County Prison in southern Pennsylvania and told he was being deported. Officials with the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency, or ICE, later showed Talbot the temporary one-way passport, known as a laissez-passer, they said they had secured for him from Cameroonian officials.

ICE was required to produce a travel document in order to send him back to his native country of Cameroon, which he said he’d fled in 2002 after enduring arrests and brutal beatings by police. Talbot had been living without papers in Philadelphia after being denied political asylum in the United States almost nine years earlier. He says he was afraid to return home.


Open the lid on US torture: The public deserves to know what the CIA did in its name

Majid KhanI thought things might be changing earlier this year, but I was wrong.

In January, Barack Obama’s administration announced what seemed to be a major change in policy: Henceforth, former prisoners of the Central Intelligence Agency would be allowed to describe their life in custody. Though they could not identify CIA personnel or disclose where they were tortured, the new rule allowed them to provide “information regarding [their] treatment” and “conditions of confinement.”


US releases Gitmo prisoner who staged 9-year hunger strike

Gitmo prisoner releasedA Guantánamo Bay prisoner who waged a nearly nine-year hunger strike while held at the U.S. base in Cuba has been released.

The Pentagon said Tuesday Abdul Shalabi has been sent back to his native Saudi Arabia. The transfer brings the Guantánamo prisoner population to 114. Fifty-two of them are cleared to leave.

Shalabi, 39, launched a hunger strike in 2006 to protest his indefinite confinement without charge. His lawyer says the military tube-fed him daily to prevent him from starving to death.


US releases Moroccan after more than 13 years at Guantanamo prison

Moroccan Gitmo prisoner releasedAnother Guantanamo Bay prisoner has been released as part of the drawn-out U.S. effort to close the detention center on the U.S. military base in Cuba, the Pentagon said Thursday.

Moroccan prisoner Younis Abdurrahman Chekkouri was sent home to his native country after nearly 14 years at Guantanamo after a security review and notification of Congress as required under the law, the Pentagon said in a statement.


Page 1 of 177

  • «
  •  Start 
  •  Prev 
  •  1 
  •  2 
  •  3 
  •  4 
  •  5 
  •  6 
  •  7 
  •  8 
  •  9 
  •  10 
  •  Next 
  •  End 
  • »
America's # 1 Enemy
Tee Shirt
& Help Support!
TVNL Tee Shirt
Conserve our Planet
& Help Support!
Get your 9/11 & Media
Deception Dollars
& Help Support!
The Loaded Deck
The First & the Best!
The Media & Bush Admin Exposed!