TV News LIES

Saturday, Aug 22nd

Last update09:06:03 AM GMT

You are here All News At a Glance Military Glance

Trump faces backlash over reports US navy carrier could be named after him instead of Black war hero

Dorie MillerThe Trump administration has been accused of delivering a “slap in the face” to US military veterans after reports that a navy aircraft carrier set to honor a Black war hero may, instead, be named after Donald Trump.

The US navy had previously announced that the carrier under construction would be called the USS Doris Miller, in tribute to a sailor celebrated for his heroism during the attack on Pearl Harbor in the second world war.

But the navy is now working to rename the carrier, CNN reported, citing three sources familiar with internal discussions. Two of those sources said there have been conversations about renaming it to honor Trump, according to the network.

“This is a slap in the face to every war hero and every service member who has worn the uniform,” said Derrick Johnson, president of the NAACP civil rights group. “Doris Miller earned his place in American history through courage, sacrifice, and service,” added Johnson. “Donald Trump only wants to serve himself.

More...

Pentagon fires Stars and Stripes editor in chief, publisher, reporter

Stars and Stripes firingsThe Pentagon fired the publisher, editor in chief and at least one reporter at Stars and Stripes, a historically independent military news outlet, Friday as the department has looked to reshape its coverage in recent months.

Slavin said he was ousted for insubordination after telling CBS News in an interview that potential censorship of news for U.S. service members would be a red line.

Korte confirmed her firing on social media, saying it was for “insubordination after I told a CBS reporter that I work for Stars and Stripes – not the Pentagon, not any administration, and not any policy maker.”

“I consider it a great privilege to live alongside members of the military and share their stories. It’s a shame for the institution and service members, who swore to defend the Constitution and deserve the right to a free and independent press,” Korte said on social platform X.

More...

 

Pentagon threatens to cut federal funding to 30 universities over foreign academic partnerships

Harvard UThirty US universities could lose federal funding unless they review and cut foreign academic partnerships the Pentagon considers a national security risk within the next two weeks, under a Pentagon directive aimed largely at ties to Chinese institutions.

Harvard, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Johns Hopkins, Georgetown and Cornell are among the institutions ordered to conduct and report the reviews – and end partnerships deemed problematic – by 31 August, according to a US official who provided the full list to the Guardian.

“The Department of War has zero tolerance for academic partnerships that compromise our national security,” Emil Michael, the Pentagon’s chief technology officer, said in a news release from Monday.

The Pentagon said the reviews are intended to protect taxpayer-funded research from unauthorized technology transfers, intellectual-property theft and exploitation by foreign adversaries.

More...

US Navy destroyer adrift in South China Sea for four days after losing power

USS BenfoldA US guided-missile destroyer reportedly spent four days adrift and without power in the South China Sea in July, furthering concerns about strain being placed on deployed military members.

The USS Benfold, an Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer which had been sailing with the George Washington carrier strike group, was reported to have beMore...en towed to Subic Bay in the Philippines, according to the US Naval Institute News, an independent military publication.

The 10,000-ton destroyer lost power after what a spokesperson with the US seventh fleet called “an engineering casualty involving its generators”, resulting in a loss of power.

That loss of power meant sailors were without galley services, toilets and air conditioning, Commander Matthew Comer told USNI News in a statement. Another vessel, USS Robert Smalls, the cruiser attached to the strike group, had to help provide meals for the crew.

More...

Trump dismisses criticism of USS Lincoln, says deployment 'not long enough'

us aBRAHAM lINCOLNPresident Donald Trump denied that family members of sailors on the USS Abraham Lincoln ‒ now being replaced in the Middle East ‒ have concerns about the ship after reports of suicide attempts and declining moral amid extended deployment.

"Well, no, that ship is moving. No, they're not," Trump said on Aug. 14 in a response to a reporter who began a question by stating families are concerned about the conditions on the USS Lincoln.

Asked whether the deployment of the ship's sailors has gone too long amid the war in Iran, Trump responded: "No, not nearly long enough."

Trump's remarks came after two military-focused outlets, the Navy Times and Stars and Stripes, this week reported on suicide attempts aboard the ship, exhaustion among the crew of 5,000 sailors and sharply declining morale.

More...

 

USS Abraham Lincoln sailors tried to jump overboard amid extended deployment – reports

USS Abraham LincolnMilitary families and Congress members are sounding the alarm about an intensifying mental health crisis onboard the USS Abraham Lincoln, as its 5,000 sailors and marines endure a record-breaking deployment at sea tied to the war with Iran.

Two leading specialist military papers, the Navy Times and Stars and Stripes, are reporting that there have been multiple attempts by sailors to jump overboard as poor conditions and mental stresses on the Lincoln reach the breaking point. The crew is in its ninth month at sea, and has spent 250 days consecutively without making land – a record for an aircraft carrier in modern times.

Worried families vented their anxieties about loved ones onboard the Lincoln at an emotional town hall meeting with navy leaders in San Diego last Thursday, Stars and Stripes reported. One spouse among the 200 or so family members said that her husband had texted her that day saying “he hopes he doesn’t wake up tomorrow”.

The families’ worries were expressed directly to navy leadership, represented at the town hall by the acting navy secretary, Hung Cao, and other top officials.

More...

2 dead after Army Apache helicopter from Fort Hood crashes in Texas

Army Apache Helicopter crash

Two soldiers were killed on Aug. 12 when a U.S. Army helicopter crashed in a field in central Texas, sparking a large grass fire and prompting evacuations, authorities said.

Authorities received 911 calls at about 1:34 p.m. local time reporting a helicopter crash in an area south of Salado, a community about 30 miles southeast of Fort Hood, the Bell County Sheriff's Office said. Responding deputies found the wreckage of a helicopter and a grass fire that was "out of control," according to Cliff Coleman, a spokesperson for the sheriff’s office.

The two soldiers aboard the helicopter were pronounced dead at 2:30 p.m. local time, Coleman said. Officials are withholding the soldiers' names until their families have been notified.

"It crashed into a field, and you could tell it was a violent crash," Coleman said during a news conference, adding that the helicopter did not strike any homes or other structures, and no other injuries were reported.

More...

 

Page 1 of 100

  • «
  •  Start 
  •  Prev 
  •  1 
  •  2 
  •  3 
  •  4 
  •  5 
  •  6 
  •  7 
  •  8 
  •  9 
  •  10 
  •  Next 
  •  End 
  • »
 
America's # 1 Enemy
Tee Shirt
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
TVNL Tee Shirt
 
TVNL TOTE BAG
Conserve our Planet
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
 
Get your 9/11 & Media
Deception Dollars
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
 
The Loaded Deck
The First & the Best!
The Media & Bush Admin Exposed!