Pentagon officials have decided to withdraw 5,000 U.S. troops from Germany, a major logistical hub for American troop movements around the world, including the Middle East.
The move comes in response to "theater requirements and conditions on the ground," Pentagon spokesperson Sean Parnell said in a statement.
But the drawdown announcement lands amid the White House’s growing rift with European allies and Germany in particular. The country’s chancellor, Friedrich Merz, earlier this week said Iran had "humiliated" the United States over the course of the war. After the remarks, President Donald Trump on April 29 said in a statement that the United States was studying a "reduction of Troops in Germany."
"The Secretary of War has ordered the withdrawal of approximately 5,000 troops from Germany," said Parnell, referring to Pentagon chief Pete Hegseth. "This decision follows a thorough review of the Department’s force posture in Europe and is in recognition of theater requirements and condithttps://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2026/05/01/us-will-withdraw-5k-troops-from-germany-pentagon-says/89901145007/ions on the ground."
Parnell said the withdrawal will happen over the course of six to 12 months.



An air show at Mountain Home Air Force Base in southwestern Idaho was canceled on Sunday,...
The remains of the second U.S. Army soldier who went missing during military exercises in Morocco...
The Pentagon has quietly dismantled a program it is legally required to operate to prevent and...





























