TV News LIES

Monday, Aug 17th

Last update08:33:14 AM GMT

You are here News War Private Iraq Investigators Out After Senator Raises Questions

Private Iraq Investigators Out After Senator Raises Questions

E-mail Print PDF

The State Department suddenly canceled a contract for eight private investigators to assist U.S. officials in Iraq in "extremely complex and sensitive investigations," after a senator raised questions about whether the department had outsourced oversight of security contractors.

The eight were working at the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad, assigned to the agency's Regional Security Office to examine incidents involving U.S. personnel as part of a new Force Investigation Unit.

The unit was created after an incident last year in which 17 Iraqi civilians were allegedly killed by private security guards from the firm Blackwater, which was hired to protect State Department officials. When the agency announced the Baghdad unit last October, Undersecretary for Management Patrick F. Kennedy told reporters that no contractors would be part of the investigative teams, which would be "composed of State Department employees."

Sen. Russell Feingold (D-Wis.) wrote to Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice on Sept. 19, advising her that he had just learned that the private investigators were working in Iraq. Feingold, a member of the Foreign Relations Committee, wrote, "It is highly troubling that the Department is apparently outsourcing oversight of its security contractors."
ad_icon


More...

 


Most Recent Related Stories...


‘They’re all catastrophic’: The paediatric war wounds Dr Abu Sittah tries to heal in Lebanon

Lebanese doctor dealing with catasropic woundsIn his Beirut office, Dr Ghassan Abu Sittah is going over his operating list for the...

Three Palestinians killed and dozens wounded in Israeli attacks across Gaza and West Bank

Attacks on Gaza and West BankThree Palestinians were killed in Israeli attacks on Gaza, while Israeli forces and Jewish settlers wounded...

Israel rejects Trump's 15-point plan for Gaza, says Netanyahu

GazaIsrael has rejected US President Donald Trump's 15-point plan for Gaza and will not withdraw until...

Iran ‘surprise attack’ ends ceasefire; US retaliates. What's next in the war

Damage at a Iran siteA pause in fighting between the U.S. and Iran came to a screeching halt after Tehran...
 
America's # 1 Enemy
Tee Shirt
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
TVNL Tee Shirt
 
TVNL TOTE BAG
Conserve our Planet
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
 
Get your 9/11 & Media
Deception Dollars
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
 
The Loaded Deck
The First & the Best!
The Media & Bush Admin Exposed!