TV News LIES

Sunday, May 24th

Last update08:26:43 AM GMT

You are here News Military Arlington Cemetery budget chief blew whistle in 2003

Arlington Cemetery budget chief blew whistle in 2003

E-mail Print PDF

Arlington Cemetery budget chief blew whistle in 2003 The former budget officer at Arlington National Cemetery warned the Army, the Defense Department's inspector general, the Office of Special Counsel and the Office of Management and Budget about problems at the center of the scandal now unfolding at the cemetery. His concerns were mostly ignored and, at least in one case, smacked down by an Army official with oversight of Arlington.

The former budget officer, Rory Smith, tried repeatedly to blow the whistle on the cemetery's budget irregularities, as top officials began to squander millions in taxpayer dollars, ostensibly to computerize burial records and prevent the interment mistakes documented by Salon over the last year.

As a result of his attempts to communicate his concerns to Army higher-ups, Smith was reprimanded and suspended for insubordination. A 20-year cemetery staffer, Smith later joined a long roster of cemetery workers who quit in disgust or were fired after reporting problems to cemetery and Army officials.

Smith's account is the most damning evidence to date showing that Army officials were repeatedly warned about budgetary, management and record-keeping problems at the cemetery. The Army, which oversees Arlington, has said it was kept in the dark about the problems there. Army Secretary John McHugh told the House Armed Services Committee recently that the cemetery was "somewhat of a satellite sitting off by itself."

A Senate subcommittee is investigating Arlington and has requested that several of the major players in Smith's story, revealed for the first time in this article, testify at a hearing set for July 29.

More...


Most Recent Related Stories...


4 crew members ejected safely after Navy jets crashed at Idaho show

Navy fighter jets collideAn air show at Mountain Home Air Force Base in southwestern Idaho was canceled on Sunday,...

Remains of 2nd U.S. soldier who went missing in Morocco have been recovered

Renains of second soldier recoveed in MoroccoThe remains of the second U.S. Army soldier who went missing during military exercises in Morocco...

Pentagon quietly shut legally required program to prevent civilian deaths by military, watchdog finds

PentagonThe Pentagon has quietly dismantled a program it is legally required to operate to prevent and...

Hegseth’s latest attack on Kelly underlines alarm over US weapons stockpiles

HegsethDefense Secretary Pete Hegseth’s latest attack against Sen. Mark Kelly (D-Ariz.) is underscoring the alarm over...
 
America's # 1 Enemy
Tee Shirt
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
TVNL Tee Shirt
 
TVNL TOTE BAG
Conserve our Planet
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
 
Get your 9/11 & Media
Deception Dollars
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
 
The Loaded Deck
The First & the Best!
The Media & Bush Admin Exposed!