TV News LIES

Saturday, Aug 30th

Last update08:44:22 AM GMT

You are here News International Nigeria: Halliburton plans plea bargain in Cheney corruption case

Nigeria: Halliburton plans plea bargain in Cheney corruption case

E-mail Print PDF

Halliburton plea bargains Cheney bribery caseHalliburton is planning to make a plea bargain in former U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney's corruption case, Nigerian officials told GlobalPost. Nigeria's anti-corruption agency charged Cheney as the head of Halliburton when its engineering subsidiary, KBR, allegedly paid bribes totaling $180 million to secure contracts worth $6 billion.

KBR has admitted to bribing officials. Last year the company pleaded guilty in a U.S. federal court to paying the bribes to Nigerian officials prior to 2007, when it was a subsidiary of Halliburton. KBR, which is now independent from Halliburton, agreed to pay $597 million in fines, according to the Associated Press.

Cheney's lawyer dismissed the new Nigerian charges as "entirely baseless."

However, Halliburton is in talks with Nigerian officials to make a plea bargain in the case, said Femi Babafemi, spokesman for Nigeria's Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, the agency which has pressed the charges against Cheney. "The companies are asking for a plea bargain, we are reviewing their request, we are talking with them, but we have not gone far with the talks yet," Babafemi told GlobalPost.

Although Babafemi did not give further details, other sources within the agency said the plea bargain might involve a $500 million settlement.

More...


Most Recent Related Stories...


NBC News analysis finds that Israel hit Gaza hospital four times

Gaza hospitalThe Israeli military struck Nasser Hospital at least four times during its morning attack on southern...

European leaders outraged after Russian strikes kill 23 and damage EU's HQ

EU hq hit by RussiaThe head of the European Union's executive Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, has spoken of her...

Court blocks Trump bid to end protections for 600,000 Venezuelans

Court blocks lifting protection for 600,000 VenezuelansA federal appeals court on Friday blocked Donald Trump’s plans to end protections for 600,000 people...

Zelensky furious as Hungary hands Ukrainian drone chief entry ban

ZelenskyyThe Hungarian government has imposed a three-year entry ban to the Schengen Area on the head...
 
America's # 1 Enemy
Tee Shirt
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
TVNL Tee Shirt
 
TVNL TOTE BAG
Conserve our Planet
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
 
Get your 9/11 & Media
Deception Dollars
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
 
The Loaded Deck
The First & the Best!
The Media & Bush Admin Exposed!