TV News LIES

Saturday, Aug 22nd

Last update09:06:03 AM GMT

You are here News Human Rights No 10 rejects new 'torture cover-up' claims

No 10 rejects new 'torture cover-up' claims

E-mail Print PDF

William Hague today stepped up pressure on the government over claims that the Foreign Office asked the US for help in suppressing crucial evidence concerning torture allegations.

The shadow foreign secretary wrote to David Miliband demanding urgent clarification on a number of specific allegations about whether the UK was complicit in the mistreatment or torture of Guantánamo detainee Binyam Mohamed.

Today Downing Street rallied to Miliband's defence, insisting that the Foreign Office had merely asked the US to "set out its position in writing" when it solicited a letter for the American authorities to back up its claim that, if the evidence was disclosed, Washington could stop sharing intelligence with Britain.


The claim persuaded two high court judges earlier this month to suppress what they called "powerful evidence" relating to the ill treatment of Mohamed, a British resident being held in the US's Guantánamo Bay detention camp in Cuba.

"The Foreign Office has made clear that they asked the US to set out their position in writing for us and the court," a spokesman for Gordon Brown said.

In response to the British request, John Bellinger, the US state department's chief legal adviser, said in a letter to the Foreign Office last August: "We want to affirm the public disclosure of these documents is likely to result in serious damage to US national security and could harm existing intelligence information-sharing arrangements between our two governments."

More...


Most Recent Related Stories...


‘We are starving’: Palestinians besieged by settlers in West Bank homes run out of food

We are starvingPalestinians trapped in their homes by Israeli settlers in the occupied West Bank town of Qusra...

Israel allows Jewish ritual at Al-Aqsa Mosque in unprecedented violation of status quo

Jewish ritual allowed at al Aqsa MosqueIsraeli authorities have formally allowed Jewish prayer for the first time inside Al-Aqsa Mosque in occupied...

As the world fixates on Hamas, who will disarm the Israeli settlers storming West Bank villages?

Settlers continue to kill PalestiniansIn Qusra, in the occupied West Bank, Palestinian families have spent August imprisoned inside their own...

Gaza genocide: How Israel made horror a ritual of daily life

Gaza genocideLife under genocide has its familiar daily rituals. A discerning eye detects latent horrors in the...
 
America's # 1 Enemy
Tee Shirt
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
TVNL Tee Shirt
 
TVNL TOTE BAG
Conserve our Planet
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
 
Get your 9/11 & Media
Deception Dollars
& Help Support TvNewsLIES.org!
 
The Loaded Deck
The First & the Best!
The Media & Bush Admin Exposed!